About this policy
What is personal information?
Personal information includes any information or opinion, about an identified individual or an individual who can be reasonably identified from their information. The information or opinion will still be personal information whether it is true or not and regardless of whether we have kept a record of it.
The kinds of personal information we collect
We only collect personal information that is necessary for one or more of our functions or activities. The kinds of personal information we collect about you will depend on the services that we provide. They may include information such as your name, address, telephone number and date of birth.
We do not generally collect personal identifying information about individuals except when that information is provided voluntarily and in accordance with our various application forms. This may include your contact details, educational qualifications, employment history and complaint details.
Once personal information has been provided to us, it will only be used for the purpose for which it was collected or for related purposes which would reasonably be expected, and will not be used otherwise unless:
- you have consented to the use or disclosure
- the use or disclosure is authorised by law
- we reasonably believe the disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to life, health or safety.
We may collect personal information about you from other organisations. For instance, we may collect personal information about you from:
- other Energy Queensland Group companies
- publicly available sources of information, such as public registers
- other organisations, who jointly with us, provide products and services to you.
How we collect personal information
We usually collect personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. For example, we may collect your personal information when you complete a form (including an application for employment with us), use our website or contact us in person or electronically or on the phone.
How we use and disclose personal information
We may share your personal information with other companies within the Energy Queensland Group.
The main reason we collect your personal information is to provide better services to you. In particular, we will not sell, rent or trade your personal information.
The purpose for which we may collect, use or disclose personal information include to:
- effectively conduct our business and perform our internal administration operations
- maintain our records and internal reports
- ensure safety/compliance at our sites through Energy Queensland Group’s compliance reporting systems
- assess an applicant’s suitability for employment with us
- maintain our relationship with you
- respond to an individual’s enquiry or request for information (please note that a request for information may be limited by the Right to Information Act 2009 (Qld))
- resolve a complaint
- comply with legislative and regulatory requirements and otherwise fulfil our legal obligations, including under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012 (Qld).
We will not disclose personal information other than:
- as required by law (for example, to the Australian Taxation Office)
- as authorised by law (for example, to protect our interests or where we have a duty to make such disclosure)
- if consent has been provided by the individual for us to disclose their personal information
- to any company which is a related body corporate or joint venture of Energy Queensland Limited
- to our employees, agents, and external advisers, such as lawyers, auditors, accountants and financiers
- to organisations who provide services to us in connection with our business, such as mailing operations, billing and debt recovery functions and information technology services.
We take reasonable steps to ensure the organisations above are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
Direct marketing and customer preferences
We may use your personal information to contact you about new offers, products or services. These products and services may be offered by a company within the Energy Queensland Group. You have a choice to opt-out of receiving direct marketing materials.
If you do not wish to receive this information, please contact us to advise that you wish to opt out of receiving our marketing material.
How we protect the security of personal information
We may store personal information in hardcopy and/or electronic form. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We also take reasonable steps to securely destroy or de-identify personal information where we no longer need it for the purpose for which we collected it, unless it is required to be retained as a record in accordance with the Public Records Act 2002 (Qld). The information is contained in a record it will be required to be kept for minimum periods set out in the relevant Retention and Disposal Schedules approved by the State Archivist.
How personal information can be accessed and corrected
Subject to some exception under the Privacy Act, you may access, or request that we correct, your personal information we hold about you.
It is our goal to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete, relevant, not misleading, timely and secure, and we take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect remains accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading. In order for us to meet this goal, you should ensure that you promptly advise us:
- if there is any change to any of the details you have provided to us; or
- if it comes to your attention that we possess certain information about you that is not correct, accurate, complete, up-to-date or relevant,
so that we can continue to provide the services that we have agreed.
Individuals can contact us to obtain further information on how to:
- request access to the personal information that we hold about them
- request that we correct the personal information that we hold about them where the individual considers that the information that we hold is not accurate, complete or up- to-date.
We will allow access or use all reasonable efforts to correct the information that we hold about an individual unless we consider that the Privacy Act or another relevant law permits or requires us to withhold the information or not make the correction.
If an individual requests us to provide them with access to personal information that we hold about them, we will provide such information within a reasonable time. We may require proof of the individual’s identity before permitting access to or changing their personal records.
There is no charge for requesting access to, or correction of, personal information.
If we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, or cannot correct it if requested, we will provide a written notice of our reasons for refusal.
Overseas transfer and storage of personal information
We may, in some situations, disclose your personal information to a recipient which is located outside Australia. Before doing so we will take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the APPs in relation to the information.
If we use a cloud-based service to store and process personal information, such a service may use a server hosted overseas to store data including your personal information.
We will not be responsible for ensuring that an overseas recipient complies with the APPs if you consent to the disclosure, if disclosure is required or authorised by law or if it is necessary to prevent a serious threat to health or safety or to deal with unlawful activity or serious misconduct relating to the operations of Energy Queensland Limited or its related entities.
Your privacy concerns and complaints
If you have any concerns about how your personal information is being handled or if you have a privacy related complaint, please write to us at:
Energy Queensland Limited
PO Box 1090
Townsville QLD 4810
Changes to this policy
We reserve the right to make changes to this policy from time to time for any reason. Any changes to our policy will be displayed on our website. It is your responsibility to check the website from time to time, and before providing further personal information to us, in order to determine whether there have been any changes.